Headquarters: Baltimore, MD
Senior Web and Internal Tools Developer
Figure 53, a Baltimore-based software company, is hiring a software developer to work on our website, store, backend licensing system, and internal licensing and customer support tools. We’re looking for an accomplished developer with experience maintaining and improving both sides of a client/server software system, with both backend and frontend design and implementation experience. Our hope is that the candidate will become the primary advocate for and designer of these products, collaborating with the team to plan, shepherd, and execute their development.
Our flagship product, QLab, is a powerful tool for designing and playing back sound, video, light, and show control cues. If you’ve watched a play (or the Olympics, or a sports game, or many other live events), chances are you’ve been in the room with QLab. While this position won’t be working much with QLab itself, it would be a bonus if you have interest in theatre, broadcasting, or live events in addition to the technical qualifications outlined below.
While coding and software design skills are an important aspect of the position, we place just as much importance on communication skills. Our ideal teammate has strong creative and interpersonal skills, because our business structures are unusually decentralized and non-hierarchical. We’d like to hire someone with both the self-motivation to work independently and feel ownership over their projects, and the ability to work cooperatively so that the team can participate in the products’ evolution.
We would prefer to hire a full time (40 hours a week) employee but are open to a ¾-time arrangement (of at least 30 hours a week). We pay a competitive salary, have a formalized profit-sharing system that kicks in after one year, and offer benefits including generous paid vacation and fully paid health insurance. We are an all-remote company. Residency inMaryland, Wisconsin, New York, or California is mildly preferred but we’re open to candidates from anywhere in the US.
Technical Skill Requirements
The successful applicant will have extensive production experience with at least two of the following, and skills and experience with several or all:
- Ruby on Rails (or similar)
- Implementing and revising web designs with HTML/CSS
- SQL (Postgres)
- iOS / macOS development
- Linux web server provisioning and maintenance
Bonus Technical Qualifications
Experience with any of these would be a bonus:
- 6+ months as the primary developer or maintainer of a web, macOS or iOS application with greater than 10 person user base
- Visual and interaction design skills
- Experience doing security measures against internet-based mischief
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience developing software collaboratively
- Desire to improve software quality while prioritizing customer needs
- Good written communicator
- Interested in being part of company-wide decisions at Figure 53
- Curious and willing to learn
Salary and Benefits
- All full- and half-time employees at Figure 53 are paid based on the same annual salary. (Our CEO makes 1.5x the base salary). The base salary is $150,000 for senior full-time employment.
- After 1 year at Figure 53, you’ll receive quarterly profit sharing which is divided based on the length of time you’ve been at the company. Profit sharing is often a significant portion of our compensation.
- 25 paid vacation days, unlimited unpaid vacation days, and paid federal holidays plus the week between Christmas and New Years off.
- SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with employer contribution matching
- Free health insurance for you, your spouse, and your dependents, including an HRA for out-of-pocket spending. Vision and dental insurance are included because teeth and eyes are also part of your body.
- Fully remote work.
Figure 53 is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from people of color, women, LGBTQ+, those living with disabilities, or a member of any group that is traditionally excluded from work in the tech sector.
The position is open immediately and will remain so until filled.
To get a sense of our company culture and HR policies, we encourage you to take a look at our handbook
How to Apply
Please email email@example.com
to apply. Please note - you must email us directly to apply rather than applying through a jobs site. Attach PDFs of your resume and a cover letter that demonstrates your relevant experience and interest in the job.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/figure-53-senior-web-and-internal-tools-developer