Scala Backend Engineer
At Famly, we’re looking for a Scala Backend Engineer to build awesome GraphQL and REST APIs to enable our platform to help the thousands of daycares that use Famly.
We are looking for people working fully remote, but you could also be based in one of these locations:
- Copenhagen, Denmark
- Berlin, Germany
- Leicester or London, UK
- Lisbon, Portugal
And Famly are...? Well it all began when our co-founder Henrik’s daughter was ready to start at daycare. He couldn’t believe the amount of work being done on paper - and how distant he felt from his first child during the day. The paper ‘parent’ books they exchanged once a month just weren’t cutting it. Together with his friend, our co-founder and CEO Anders, they set about solving that.
These days, the 140 of us building Famly talk about trying to do two things for our 6,500 nurseries:
- Giving children the best possible start to life.
- Championing the vital work that goes into making that happen.
We do it with software that brings hundreds of thousands of parents closer to their child’s day while they’re away from them. We also make financial, pedagogical, and planning tools for more than 34,000 childcare professionals, saving them hours and reducing their admin stress.
Ultimately, that gives them more time and headspace for the little ones that really matter. Come help us make that happen.
What you'll be doing:
- Working in one of our five crews with other frontenders, backenders, designers and product people.
- You will play a key role in planning what’s next, designing, developing and rolling out cool new features and changes.
- You’ll team up with the Backend Chapter to shape the future of our tech stack, tooling and reducing complexity across our code.
You’ll thrive in this role if you can:
- Build solid APIs in GraphQL and REST (we primarily use Scala with our GraphQL API and but also maintain a PHP REST API)
- Use functional programming (we use cats, cats-effect, fs2, refined, and slick)
- Model complex data structures and express them in a relational way (we use MySQL)
- Bring crystal clarity to complex and ambiguous ideas and projects.
- Communicate feedback, expectations and information in clear and kind ways, both written and spoken (we’re over 40 different nationalities, and our company language is English)
- Learn super fast, be open-minded and ready to adapt our technology, teams and ways-of-working as Famly scales in brave new directions.
- Make your teammates shine by supporting each other to learn and grow.
We’re looking for people from mid to senior, and we appreciate that everyone brings something unique, so even if you don’t tick every box, please still apply.
You’ll love working here because:
- We’re all about hiring a diverse array of clever people - who are kind and good humans too. It means Famly is full of top thinkers and generous teammates waiting to help you shine.
- We like to give a lot of ownership both in terms of responsibility and freedom to try new things. We’ll get you up and running and collaborate along the way, of course.
- Top-notch work equipment (including noise-cancelling headphones for those focus periods!).
- We offer equitable perks, regardless if you work at Copenhagen HQ or remotely (that means if your Copenhagen teammates get dinner, we’ll buy you dinner in your home town too!).
- A big focus on people support with personal and career development, including monthly training sessions in a wide variety of topics.
- A yearly training and conference budget of 10,000 DKK
If you join from outside Copenhagen:
We’re currently around 140 people, and around 30 in Engineering. We started as a Copenhagen office-based company, but as we are scaling we’re heading on our journey towards a fully hybrid way of working in Engineering.
- 1 week of onboarding to meet all your new colleagues (we will of course fly you in and get a hotel in wonderful Copenhagen for you)
- 2 tech meetups on-site every year (we will again fly you in and ensure everything is taken care of)
When you're in the Copenhagen HQ, we also have:
- Daily buffet and a well-stocked drinks fridge (did someone say snack corner?)
- Plenty of social activities... game nights, go climbing with colleagues, Friday bars, big quarterly social events, team fun with dinners out, office BBQs, and more! We hope to bring all of it to the Lisbon office as well.
The interview process is:
- An intro video chat with our People Partner
- Logical test
- Take home technical assignment with a follow-up chat
- Personal interview
An individual's compensation depends on various factors including review of experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant. We have salary bands and a clear structure for this.
We're looking to fill the position as soon as possible, so get your application in today by sending us:
- Your CV
- A cover letter to tell us what you can bring to the role, and what speaks to you about Famly.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Famly is committed to creating a more diverse, equal, and inclusive workforce, building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. It is a fundamental policy at Famly not to discriminate on any basis or characteristics and celebrate diversity. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to apply.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/famly-scala-backend-engineer