Headquarters: Copenhagen, Denmark
At Famly, we’re looking for a Backend Engineer (Copenhagen-based or fully remote) to build awesome GraphQL and REST APIs to enable our platform to help the thousands of daycares that use Famly.
And Famly are...? Well it all began when our co-founder Henrik’s daughter was ready to start at daycare. He couldn’t believe the amount of work being done on paper - and how distant he felt from his first child during the day. The paper ‘parent’ books they exchanged once a month just weren’t cutting it. Together with his friend, our co-founder and CEO Anders, they set about solving that.
These days, the 90 of us building Famly talk about trying to do two things for our 3,800 customers:
- Giving children the best possible start to life.
- Championing the vital work that goes into making that happen.
We do it with software that brings hundreds of thousands of parents closer to their child’s day while they’re away from them. We also make financial, pedagogical, and planning tools for more than 34,000 childcare professionals, saving them hours and reducing their admin stress.
Ultimately, that gives them more time and headspace for the little ones that really matter. Come help us make that happen.
What you'll be doing:
- Working in one of our four crews with other frontenders, backenders, designers and product people.
- You’ll work in monthly cycles and cooldown periods, where you will play a key role in planning what’s next, designing, developing and rolling out cool new features and changes.
- You’ll team up with the Backend Chapter to shape the future of our tech stack, tooling and reducing complexity across our code.
- We’re heading towards a progressive remote-first way of working, where you’ll communicate asynchronously-by-default, and treat documentation as a first class citizen.
You’ll thrive in this role if you can:
- Build solid APIs in GraphQL and REST (we use Scala for our new GraphQL API and PHP for our REST API)
- Use functional programming (we use cats, cats-effect, fs2, refined, and slick)
- Model complex data structures and express them in a relational way (we use MySQL)
- Bring crystal clarity to complex and ambiguous ideas and projects.
- Communicate feedback, expectations and information in clear and kind ways, both written and spoken (we’re over 20 different nationalities, and our company language is English)
- Learn super fast, be open-minded and ready to adapt our technology, teams and ways-of-working as Famly scales in brave new directions.
- Make your teammates shine by supporting each other to learn and grow.
We’re looking for people from mid to senior, and we appreciate that everyone brings something unique, so even if you don’t tick every box or don't know Scala, please still apply.
You’ll love working here because:
- We’re all about hiring a diverse array of clever people - who are good humans too. It means Famly is full of top thinkers and generous teammates waiting to help you shine.
- We like to give a lot of ownership both in terms of responsibility and freedom to try new things. We’ll get you up and running and collaborate along the way, of course.
- Top-notch work equipment (including noise cancelling headphones for those focus periods!).
- We offer equitable perks, regardless if you work at Copenhagen HQ or remotely (that means if your Copenhagen teammates get dinner, we’ll buy you dinner in your home town too!).
- A big focus on people support with personal and career development, including monthly training sessions in a wide-variety of topics.
- A yearly training and conference budget of 10,000 DKK
- If you work remotely, you’ll get a coworking office budget too.
If you’re at Copenhagen HQ, you can enjoy:
- A yummy daily buffet and a well stocked drinks fridge (did someone say snack corner?)
- Our private rooftop courtyard (sunny all year round, we promise…!)
- Post-covid social activities have now resumed… enjoy endless team fun with dinners out, office BBQs, friday bars, big quarterly social events, game nights, a daily 7 minute workout, and more!
The compensation is:
Our salary range is 30-55k DKK per month depending on experience and location.
Where would you like to work from?
We’re currently around 90 people, and around 25 in engineering. We started as a Copenhagen office-based company. Now that we’re scaling, we’re heading on our journey towards a fully remote-first way of working in engineering.
You are free to join us at the Copenhagen HQ or work fully remotely from any European-friendly timezone.
We can also help you relocate to Copenhagen with our fast track visa process, if you need it.
The interview process is:
- An intro video chat
- Logical test
- Take home technical assignment with a follow up chat
- Personal interview
We're looking to fill the position as soon as possible, so get your application in today by sending us:
- Your CV
- A cover letter to tell us what you can bring to the role, and what speaks to you about Famly.
Looking forward to hearing from you!